Oct 13, 2005 - Thursday
Edmonds, WA To Seattle, WA

A long day that turned into a short day. Tuesday evening I worked on the handlebar controls - horn switch, turn signal switch, starter switch. For that work I had the key in the ignition. With that work complete I rolled the bike out of the garage and locked the handlebars - removing the key. Wednesday I didn't leave the house. All along I've kept the key in one of four places - coat key pocket, riding pants pocket, night stand, computer stand. Today I readied myself for a trip out to Olympic National Park and started the packing process. All went well but early in the process I noticed the key not on either of the stands. Checks of the two clothing pockets came up dry as well. Hmmm - where could I have put it? More checks - and rechecks. Checks under the stands, in other places - dry.

This normally would not be a big deal - and being with friends in a big city - it wasn't a big deal (better than out in the "middle of nowhere") as the spare could be used. Well - this was the spare - and I didn't get another key made before this one disappeared. Now the debate - what's the easiest / fastest / lowest cost method to get a key? Call up to the hostel in Chatanika AK and ask them to pull up the floorboard on the front porch and pull the key up? Have Mom / Dad make a key from the master back home and ship it out? Pull the ignition and bring it to a locksmith? Pull the ignition it will be. About 40 minutes later I had it out. Finding a locksmith (that could do the work) took another couple hours. I ended up with a locksmith not but a couple miles away that did the work - without opening the ignition. Impressioning I think is the technique used? THREE keys made that step was done. Time to put things back together and decide what to do (where to go).

Assembly took about as long as the disassembly and since the bike was in packed mode I decided to head out. It was perhaps a crazy decision (since it was about 5:15pm) but I was in a 'get moving' mentality. With that I bid thanks for my gracious hosts and turned the key.

First stop - some internet access for some quick research. That done I made my way down to the main REI store - to check it out and see about a Camelback water pouch. The warm temps across the Canadian plains, with my not drinking enough, gave me some dehydration headaches. Across the south this could well be an issue I want to avoid.

After REI I started the hunt for a local hostel - 1525 2nd Ave, Seattle being the first choice. It appears what while there is only one correct address there are two very close alternatives - 1525 2nd Ave N and 1525 2nd Ave W. Well I pulled up in front of one of the wrong places and while it didn't look like a hostel I figured I'd knock on a door for some directions. The folks inside were quite helpful. Claude, who also rides a cycle, hopped on his bike and showed me the way - stopping at different parking choices to see what might be a good spot. Hostel and parking found we parted ways - THANKS! It was nice to meet you and the family!

The saying that if you travel in a group you meet just your group members and if you travel alone you meet everyone is certainly holding true. People will walk across a parking lot - bee-lining it straight to the bike and me - for a quick chat. Perhaps it helps to 'look' like a traveler - which the bike certaily does - with the colorful bags strapped onto it. This aspect of the trip is quite enjoyable.

Headlight and right turn signal removed

Horns and front electrial box cover removed.

Instrument cluster unscrewed and hanging. Any time the white "tool tube" is opened my helper heads straight for the tools spread out on the floor.
Screwdrivers, one in each hand, are a favorite. Poking and "doing" is the thing. It is amazing at how he strikes a pose - and holds it - for any ready camera.

Ignition removed - time to find a locksmith

Back Next Up JW Home Navigation